Monday 16 December 2013

We're moving ... To MANILA???


If you had asked me where in the world would I want to live as an expat, I wouldn't of answered Manila. I would of said New York, London, Hong Kong, Paris, or even Bangkok.

Nothing against Manila & it's people but I had never travelled there before, and it wasn't high up on my places to visit list either (I'm not entirely sure it even made the list, and if it did it was a transit airport on the way to Boracay)

So a month ago, back to normal life after marrying the man of my dreams & going on an amazing honeymoon the offer was made in passing to my husband that 'he'd be perfect for the role, but they never bothered asking as they thought he'd say no what with just getting married' 
He came home & said it to me, and we both thought about it.
I jumped online and asked my trusty friend google to tell me about Manila and I was pleasantly surprised at the results: 
The capital city & second largest city in the Philippeans - Manila is the central hub for business, education & transport -Manila has a reputation as a congested, polluted concrete jungle, and is often overlooked as a mere stopover for travelers aiming to reach other Philippine provinces or islands - Manila city is sprawling, bustling, and culturally complicated, with a colorful multi-cultural heritage and varied nightlife.
Ok maybe I, like many others haven't given this city the credit it deserves.

Four weeks later, many hours spent deciding if I can leave my dog & cat for up to a year (thank goodness for family) endless hours googling expat life in Manila, places to eat & drink & a contract being signed at work & we are locked it. We are becoming expats & fly out to MNL international airport on 1/1/14. Who said life after marriage was boring???!!!

I hope to use this blog as a way for family & friends to see what we are up to & stay in touch, but also hope it becomes a handy resource for others who are planning on making the move as that is the one thing I found a lack of when I was doing my research - there are no good blogs/sites ran by expats that give you an honest, first hand account of what expat life is like. 

Until next time,
Jacs xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment